London Day 6

After another night of not enough sleep, and with feet still hurting from the adventures the day before, we were out the door to the Tower of London.
 
It's like a HUGE amusement park of all things history.
 
After we gained access, we were able to split up and explore where we wanted to. Lara and I let the girls go together, and her and I went straight for the Crown Jewels.

 
You are NOT allowed any photography in the building at all, and there are several employees stationed around the jewels to make sure you aren't sneaking a picture in.
 
We saw the crowns throughout the ages, the scepters, the baptism plate and so much more. There are even the boxes that house these items on display, and a short video of how they pack them up and take them to certain special ceremonies. With the white glove treatment and all that jazz.


 
 
Lara and I explored the Tower of Torture, as did Monkey.

 
The Blood Tower was interesting as well.

 
 
Of course I had to get my picture with one of these guys!

 
We lunched outside and had some terrific building surrounding us.

 

 
 
I loved the old buildings, but with a modern twist with the bright aqua colored door.

 
We also saw the royal coins, but missed the armory.
 
We hot footed it down to the tube and grabbed a train headed towards Greenwich.
 
 
I tried to close my eyes for a few. And almost fell off my jump seat.

 
Lara thought it was funny. I did too.
 
We got off the tube in Greenwich and had a ways to walk. The actual grounds for the Observatory is HUGE.
 
We climbed to the top of the hill, and made our way around the building.
 

 
Towards the LONG line and this clock.

 
To get your picture on the date line, you would have had to wait a good hour or more, and we didn't have that kind of time. If you want to learn more about this, check this out. My friends over at Wikipedia can explain it so much better than I can.
 
The cool thing was the "line" ran down the side of this hill. So we found it, and took our photo op there.

 
Here is the view from the top of the hill. Absolutely gorgeous!

 
 Along the way from the tube station to the Observatory, we saw these great benches. They must be some kind of art installation, but of course we had to take pictures with them. Super fun!
 
 
 
As we made our way back to the tube, I HAD to stop for one last picture. I think you can see why.........

 
 We found the ONLY McDonalds in a 20 mile radius to eat dinner at. In the heart of the ghetto. But we survived!

Comments

Popular Posts