Summer Reading List

The goal with a summer reading list is, for me, to try new authors/styles/subject matter to read. With summer fast fading in to fall, I must confess I got through MOST of my list, but not all. Wanted to share what I read, what I liked, what I didn't and why.

After seeing Jonathan Safron Foer on Oprah a few months ago, I thought to myself "I would like to read his book".


Book Summary:
Brilliantly synthesizing philosophy, literature, science, memoir and his own detective work, "Eating Animals" explores the many fictions we use to justify our eating habits--from folklore to pop culture to family traditions and national myth--and how such tales can lull us into a brutal forgetting.

My review:
Guess what? Could not follow along with his writing style. Was very interested in the subject matter when he was talking. He was engaging and I was interested in what he had to say. HOWEVER, he jumps around when he writes. I know that some of the info in the book is fact, other is opinion so I expected a little bit of back and forth. Honestly. What I didn't expect? His puddle jumping. Astronomically big jumps and I must confess I needed a bridging puddle to follow along........ I returned it to the library after reading 2 chapters. Sorry Jonathan.

Next up? Lottery, by Patricia Wood.


Book Summary:
Perry was raised by his grandmother and has an IQ of 76, she taught him everything he needed to know to survive and to play the lottery before her death. When he wins the Washington State Lottery he suddenly has more relatives than he knows what to do with.

My Review:
Awesome story. Sit down and read it. Add it to your Fall Reading List, better titled your Curl Up on a Sunday Afternoon on the Couch with a Cup of Coffee Reading List. You will enjoy it.

The Thirteenth Tale:


Book Summary:
A compelling emotional mystery about family secrets and the magic of books and storytelling. A dying writer bids a young bookshop assistant to write her biography.

My Review:
I'm not sure what's wrong with me because I did not like her style of writing. I am sure it is a fine story and that most of you will like it. It's just not for me. Moving on......

Nights In Rodanthe by Nicholas Sparks


Book Summary:
Nights in Rodanthe tells the tale of a doctor en route to reconcile with his estranged son when his benevolent mission is sidelined upon checking into a North Carolina beach-town inn. When the doctor arrives at the inn, he enters into a passionate affair with an unhappily married woman who is currently considering divorce. ~

My Review:
I have had a hard time in the past reading some of Nicholas Sparks's books. This one? I could NOT put down. Seriously. Read it before you see the movie, if you haven't already. I am going to rent the movie now and I will tell you what I think of the film adaptation.

The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks


Book Summary:
Seventeen year-old Veronica “Ronnie” Miller’s life was turned upside-down when her parents divorced and her father moved from New York City to Wilmington, North Carolina. Three years later, she remains angry and alienated from her parents, especially her father… until her mother decides it would be in everyone’s best interest if she spent the summer in Wilmington with him. Ronnie’s father, a former concert pianist and teacher, is living a quiet life in the beach town, immersed in creating a work of art that will become the centerpiece of a local church. The tale that unfolds is an unforgettable story about love in its myriad forms – first love, the love between parents and children – that demonstrates, as only a Nicholas Sparks novel can, the many ways that deeply felt relationships can break our hearts… and heal them.

My Review:
Once again, completely surprised by Nicholas Sparks! I loved this story, as there were some points I could relate to the main character on, especially that ever-so-lovely teenage attitude. (I had it to the max, ask my mom!) Another book that I couldn't put down. A great read and a definite tear jerker at the end. I am actually looking forward to seeing the movie. I have heard it's good.......



Now, on to the ones I currently have on hold, on my shelf at home, or am reading as we speak. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, Cunt, The One That I Want and Water for Elephants. I will let you know how they turn out ok?

What have you read this summer you liked? Share......

Comments

Crazy Mom of 2! said…
I to read 'The Last Song'... I LOVED the book, cried like a baby throught the last part... but the movie disappointed me. It was good but it could have been so much better. I wrote a review of it in my blog if you haven't already checked it out! :)
Amber said…
I read Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Girl Wo Played with Fire. I liked them. I really want to read the next one, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest, but it's not out in hardback yet. I'll have to wait for it to come out in paperback. Now I don't have a book I'm currently reading. Guess I'll steal some recommendations from your list!

Popular Posts